I got this recipe over 30 years ago from a magazine, probably Woman's Day or Good Housekeeping. How do I know? On the back of the page I tore from the magazine is a coupon that expired on 9/1/1977!! I LOVE B&B pickles, so when we have an abundance of cukes I make some of these. They can be made with Splenda if you wish... that is what I do.
16 cups cucumbers, sliced about 1/4" thick (about 4 1/2 lbs)
6 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 1/2 lbs)
1/2 cup salt
3 trays ice cubes
5 cups cider vinegar
5 cups sugar (or Splenda)
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
6 1-pint canning jars and lids
1. In 7-quart saucepot, (I use a large plastic dishpan) mix well cucumbers, onions and salt. Cover with cold water and ice cubes; let stand 3 hours. Drain; rinse well and drain again; set aside.
2. About 30 minutes before cucumber mixture is ready, in another large saucepot, mix sugar, vinegar, celery seed, mustard seed and turmeric. Over high heat, heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 30 minutes or until syrupy, stirring often.
3. Meanwhile prepare jars and lids for processing. Add cucumbers and onions to syrup; over high heat, heat almost to boiling, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2" head space.
4. Using spatula, release any air bubbles from around side and bottom of jar; wipe jar tops clean with damp cloth; close jars.
5. Invert jars for 5 minutes, the turn them over and allow to cool completely.